We aim to provide a curriculum which is enjoyable, and which offers a broad, progressive, relevant range of activities and experiences for both girls and boys throughout all key stages.
At Babington House pupils have the opportunity to participate in a whole range of extra – curricular clubs, inter-school competitions and external fixtures throughout the sporting year. Pupils also have the opportunity to compete at the ISA Regional competitions with the opportunity to qualify for National events. All pupils are encouraged to participate in sport at school and club level.
GCSE pupils follow the AQA GCSE Physical Education Course and are assessed in three sports. This course is 30% practical 70% theory and includes the following topics:
· Knowledge and understanding of the key body systems and how they impact on health, fitness and performance in physical activity and sport
· Knowledge and understanding of the basic principles of movement and their effect on performance in physical activity and sport
· Knowledge and understanding of the principles of training and different training methods in order to plan, carry out, monitor and evaluate personal exercise and training programmes
· Knowledge and understanding of the psychological factors that can affect performers in physical activity and sport.
Paper 1 (30%): The human body and movement in physical activity and sport:
· Applied Anatomy and physiology
· Movement analysis
· Physical training
· Use of data
Paper 2 (30%): Socio-cultural influences and well-being in physical activity and sport:
· Sports psychology
· Socio-cultural influences
· Health, fitness, and well-being
· Use of data
NEA (10%): Analysis and Evaluation of Physical Performance in one sport (coursework based)
The practical element of the GCSE PE course is divided into 3 sports which each have 10% weighing. Within school pupils could be assessed on the following sporting activities:
· Rock Climbing
Pupils who uptake GCSE PE are encouraged to use a sport outside of school that they are already part of and play at club level.
“The quality of the pupils personal development is excellent”
“Pupils co-operate and work superbly together as team members. In class, in sport, in clubs and around the school, they demonstrate thoughtfulness and respect in the high quality of their collaboration.”
“You can’t have a life without art, how dull would life be”
Head of Art
“All the world’s a stage.”
Inspiring Teachers, Inspiring Children
"Babington is an ideal destination for the children of working parents with excellent extended day and holiday club provision".